A Globe is a sphere that represents the planet Earth. In it we can see imaginary lines that represent:
- Equator: imaginary line that divides the Earth in two halves.
- Poles: North and South. They are in opposite extremes of the central axis.
- Central axis: imaginary line from North Pole to South Pole.
Cartography and maps
Cartography is the science of making maps. Maps are pictures of places. So as to make a map we follow the next steps:
1) Collecting data: artificial satellites give us different data from the Earth.
2) Making the map: use of the data so as to draw the map.
Types of maps:a) Physical: geography (mountains, rivers…
MapsA map uses different elements to give information:
OceansOceans are great spaces filled with salted water. They cover great part of the Earth surface. In our planet there are 5 oceans:
2) Atlantic Ocean
3) Indian Ocean
4) Arctic Ocean
5) Antarctic / Southern Ocean
ContinentsContinents are great extensions of dry Earth over the seas. They are NOT countries. There are 6 continents in our planet: